Saturday, February 9

Camden Market ablaze;;

I was planning to go to Camden Market tomorrow; I have changed my plans. A 30-foot fire is alight on the north side of the market, to the north of the railway bridge and canal. Apparently it was caused by an electrical fault in a market stall; there's some confusion over the actual location of the fire - apparently it's in a storage area, and the back of the Hawley Arms pub, rather than any main stall sites - although there have been no reported casualties (early reports of people trapped have been denied by the fire service). There are about a hundred fire officers tackling the blaze, and it's being brought under control, but it seems to have damaged old Victorian buildings as well as endangered property. I think I'll go to Brick Lane instead.

No comments: